What's Luxury Vinyl & Is It Waterproof?
Oct 04, 2022
Scratches, stains, and spills oh my! Homeowners often dream of refining their living rooms with warm mahogany floors or upgrading to sleek slate tile in the bathroom, but worry if hardwood or tile can withstand their family’s active lifestyles. Luckily, luxury vinyl flooring brings the beauty of hardwood, stone, and tile with affordable oops-proof, pet proof, and waterproof durability. Also referred to as luxury vinyl tile or plank (LVT/LVP), this form of vinyl flooring is made up of multiple layers that aid in the design, durability, and ease of maintenance of this wonderful flooring choice. The next time you hear the word “oops!”, you can take a breath and relax knowing you have exceptionally durable luxury vinyl floors!
Types of Luxury Vinyl Flooring
Thinking about installing luxury vinyl floors in your home? Depending on the type of room and your desired design style, choose the vinyl flooring that best fits your needs. There are three basic types of luxury vinyl flooring: plank, tile, and sheet.
- Luxury vinyl planks are often used to mimic hardwood, as the planks offer the look of cut hardwood.
- Luxury vinyl tile is often used to replicate stone or tiles or to create an intricate pattern.
- Luxury vinyl sheet is commonly used in areas subject to moisture, such as the bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Sheets come in 6 and 12 feet lengths, making for very few (if any) seams when installed, and also can mimic the look of hardwood, stone, and tile with various patterns to choose from.
How is Luxury Vinyl Flooring Made?
Wondering what makes luxury vinyl flooring so durable, comfortable underfoot, and easy to clean? This resilient flooring option is composed of four layers of synthetic materials including:
- The Wear Layer - This durable top layer acts as a protective seal to keep your floors scratch-free. Any scuffs or spills are easily removed with a quick sweep or a damp towel.
- The Photo or Design Layer - The fun part of finding new floors is choosing the design. With LVT or LVP, there are multiple, colours, textures, and finishes to brighten any room.
- The Rigid Core - Typically composed of PVC and other synthetic materials, the rigid core is what adds stability to vinyl flooring.
- The Back Layer - The bottom or back layer provides the base structure and waterproofing properties to the underlayer of the flooring
Can I Use Luxury Vinyl Flooring with Radiant Heated Floors?
Hate the feeling of cold tile when you step out of the shower? Lucky for you, radiant heated floors are perfectly compatible with luxury vinyl. Also acting as a natural insulator, luxury vinyl flooring keeps your toes warm on cold winter mornings and cool on hot summer nights while reducing overall energy costs within your home. In addition, you might benefit from luxury vinyl’s sound-absorbing qualities, which make it much quieter than wood or tile —the ideal choice for an active home filled with kids and furry friends. Bring peace to bedrooms and focus to your home office with vinyl’s sound-stifling composition.
Is Vinyl Flooring Waterproof?
While many floor options boast water resistance, our luxury vinyl products are fully waterproof, making them ideal in all rooms, especially kitchens and bathrooms. Now, you might be wondering —how is vinyl flooring waterproof? Thanks to its multiple layers including a durable wear layer and rigid core, luxury vinyl can withstand moisture, heavy foot traffic, scratches, and spills. Not only is its top wear layer waterproof, but the backing layer also protects the underside of your floors from moisture. When installed properly, luxury vinyl flooring provides exceptional waterproofing capabilities, leaving you worry-free the next time the kids overflow the bathtub.
A Variety of Vinyl Flooring Styles, Colours, and Designs
Are you looking for specific colour and style to bring life into a room? Explore the endless design opportunities of vinyl flooring from different wood grains, tones, and stains, as well as a variety of stone and tile looks. With LVT or LVP you can achieve the look of natural hardwood in stone in hard-to-reach places like your bathrooms, playrooms, dens, and basements. Our exclusive products offer endless colours and designs that are indistinguishable from real wood or tile. With so many great options, waterproof vinyl flooring is an incredibly safe choice for your active family if you’re looking for the perfect balance of style and function.
How to Choose Waterproof Luxury Vinyl Flooring
If you’re considering luxury vinyl flooring, contact a local Flooring Canada store today to learn more about waterproof luxury vinyl plank flooring, as well as the tile & sheet options available. Your local sales professionals have extensive knowledge of all luxury vinyl products, and will guide you to the perfect vinyl flooring for your unique style and needs. Let our professionals handle all the tedious tasks so you can begin living on the wood-look floor of your dreams today!
Visualize Your Flooring Dreams
Want a preview of how new floors will look in your home? Try our room visualizer, My Floor Style. Upload a photo of your room, select your style preferences, and get a virtual look at each different flooring style. With My Floor Style, there are no surprises. Only beautiful new floors.